BitFlyer is a Japanese bitcoin exchange founded in 2014. To date, the company has raised over $36 million USD in 7 rounds of financing. Learn more today in our BitFlyer review.
What Is BitFlyer?
BitFlyer, found online at BitFlyer.jp, is a bitcoin exchange open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The exchange is based in Japan.
BitFlyer is particularly well-known for its JPY/BTC pair. It’s one of the most active exchanges for that particular pair. BitFlyer also allows BTC/ETH trading.
Today, you can access BitFlyer online through your browser, or download the mobile apps for iOS and Android.
One of the nice parts about BitFlyer is the easy signup process. You can start your account just by signing up with your Facebook account or email address. However, if you want to buy or sell bitcoin, you’ll need to input more verification details.
Trading fees start at 0.15% for the JPY/BTC, and fall even lower with volume. Altcoin trading (BTC/ETH) is charged a 0.20% fee. Unlike other exchanges, BitFlyer offers just two pairs. At the time of writing, the BTC/JPY pair accounted for over 90% of BitFlyer’s trading volume.
At the time of writing, BitFlyer was sitting at around the 20 to 25 spot in terms of 24 hour trading volume, making it one of the world’s most active bitcoin exchanges.
- Simple to Signup: Create an account with just your email address. If you want to access more advanced features, then you’ll need to fill out additional verification details.
- High Security: Like all good exchanges, BitFlyer puts a big emphasis on security. Encryption is provided by DigiCert. Real people verify transactions. And bitcoins are stored safely in cold wallets.
- 1 Second Transactions: BitFlyer doesn’t force you to wait 10 minutes to verify bitcoin transactions. You can use BitFlyer’s BitWire technology to send and receive bitcoins in just one second.
- Unlimited Trading: There’s no limit to the amount of buying and selling you can do with a confirmed BitFlyer account.
- Futures Trading: BitFlyer offers futures trading through their Lightning platform.
- Available Worldwide: BitFlyer caters to the Japanese marketplace, but there’s nothing preventing international users from using the exchange.
BitFlyer is free to create an account. There are no account maintenance fees. Most trades have a charge of 0.15%. However, with volume, your trading fee can drop to as little as 0.01%.
Trades are actually free right now on certain BitFlyer markets, including their bitcoin market and their Lightning FX/Futures market. The company will notify you two weeks prior to making any changes to this free fee structure.
Altcoin trading fees (ETH/BTC) are charged a flat 0.20% rate. That rate doesn’t change with volume.
To withdraw your money, you’ll pay 216 JPY (on SMBC account withdrawals) and 540 JPY (on non SMBC account withdrawals). You’ll pay more if you’re withdrawing over 30,000 JPY.
Further information about fees, including fees for margin calls, sell outs, and withdrawals, can be found on their website.
BitFlyer was founded in January 2014.
According to CrunchBase, the Japanese-based bitcoin exchange has raised $36.11 million in 7 rounds from 10 investors since being founded. Those investors include big names like Digital Currency Group.
In addition to launching their bitcoin exchange, BitFlyer offers other online services – like their crowdfunding website FundFlyer, which is used to publicize and generate awareness for projects while also raising funds in bitcoin.
BitFlyer is headquartered in Tokyo. Key members of the team include Yuzo Kano (CEO) and Takafumi Komiyama (CTO).
BitFlyer is a bitcoin exchange catered towards the Japanese market. The exchange offers low trading fees (0.15% and lower, with volume) on all BTC/JPY trades. Meanwhile, BTC/ETH trades are assessed at 0.20%. BitFlyer makes it easy to sign up, deposit money from a bank, and start trading as quickly as possible.
You can learn more about BitFlyer, or start trading today, by visiting the exchange online at BitFlyer.jp.