Blockchain A-Z: Decentralized Blockchain Application Building?
Blockchain A-Z promises to teach anyone how to build their own blockchain. Find out how it works today in our review. Blockchain A-Z is a Kickstarter-funded project that teaches you how to build your own blockchain.
The creators of Blockchain A-Z previously created courses like Deep Learning A-Z, Artificial Intelligence A-Z, and Computer Vision A-Z. They’re a Brisbane, Australia-based team. The project attracted over $110,000 AUD in funding from 2500+ backers to be brought to life.
The course has already been successfully funded on Kickstarter, although the first course materials aren’t scheduled to be delivered to backers until May 2018.
How Does Blockchain A-Z Work?
Blockchain A-Z is an online course that teaches you everything you need to know about blockchain technology. The course can introduce you to bitcoin as a total beginner. Or, you can jump right into advanced lessons. There are three core modules included in the program, including all of the following:
Module 1: Creating A Blockchain
- Lessons: What is a blockchain? Understanding SHA256 hashing. Immutable ledgers. Distributed P2P networks. How mining works: the nonce. How mining works: the cryptographic puzzle. Byzantine fault tolerance. Consensus protocol: defense against attackers. Consensus protocol: proof of work. Blockchain demo.
- Practice Scenarios: Initializing the genesis block. Understanding the difference between creating and mining a block. The essential keys that each block needs, including the index and proof. How to get the last block of the current chain you’re dealing with. Proof of work: how to create problems that are challenging to solve but easy to verify for your software. How to create a web application to interact with your blockchain. How to mine a new block yourself and add it to the chain. How to use JSON to return informative messages and data about your chain.
Module 2: Creating a Cryptocurrency
- Lessons: What is bitcoin? Bitcoin’s monetary policy. Understanding mining difficulty. Virtual tour of a bitcoin mine. Mining pools. Nonce range. How miners pick transactions. CPUs vs GPUs vs ASICs. Exploring real-world stats on blockchain.info. How do mempools work? Orphaned blocks. The 51% attack. Transactions and UTXOs. Where do transaction fees come from? How wallets work. Signatures: private and public keys. Signatures and keys demo. What is segregated witness (SegWit)? Public keys versus bitcoin addresses. Hierarchically deterministic (HD) wallets.
- Practice Scenarios: Setting up specific libraries to build your cryptocurrency. Learning the key differences between a general blockchain and a cryptocurrency. Transforming your blockchain into a cryptocurrency that works just like bitcoin. Tackling transactions, including how to send and receive coin transactions in just a few minutes. Putting the building blocks in place for decentralizing your blockchain and nodes. Why you need consensus and how to make sure your nodes are up-to-date at any time (and how to fix them if they’re not). How to handle the network side of cryptocurrency transactions. How to mine your new cryptocurrency. How to make transactions ultra-secure when they’re mined. How to develop every request your blockchain needs to handle a decentralized infrastructure.
Module 3: Creating a Smart Contract
- Lessons: What is Ethereum? What is a smart contract? Decentralized apps (DApps). Ethereum Virtual Machine and Gas. Decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs). The DAO attack. Soft and hard forks. Initial coin offerings. ICO case studies. Limitations of blockchains. Sharding. Proof of stake versus proof of work. Web 3.0 and blockchain 3.0.
- Practice Scenarios: Adding the extra tools you’ll need to launch your ICO. How to set the conversion value of your new cryptocurrency into a real dollar rate. How to create mapping to keep track of an investor’s equity in coins and dollars. How to make sure an investor can only buy coins if there are any available. How to check the balance of an ICO investor in both coins and dollars. How to build the buy functionality and allow investors to get in on ICOs. How to “sell up” and allow investors to sell their coins in exchange for dollars. How to launch your ICO and test every part of the ICO’s functionality.
Ultimately, by the end of the course, you will have learned everything you need to know about launching a blockchain, creating your own cryptocurrency, and conducting your ICO. The course, as the name suggests, walks you through the entire process from A to Z.
Certain bonus features are available, including how to create more blockchain applications, a video and infographic called “The Top 3 Crypto Truths”, a video and infographic called the “Top Industries That Will Be Disrupted, and a video and cheat sheet called, “How to Invest in ICOs.”
The course is catered to novices and blockchain experts. The course focuses on not just teaching you the material – but showing you how to implement the material in real situations.
You’ll get a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Who’s Behind Blockchain A-Z?
Blockchain A-Z was created by Kirill Eremenko. Prior to launching Blockchain A-Z¸Kirill and his team had launched three successful A-Z campaigns, including Deep Learning A-Z and Artificial Intelligence A-Z, both courses that ranked in the top 10 on Kickstarter.
Eremenko,, by the way, teaches data science online to 400,000 students. He has a degree in nano-physics and a consulting background from Deloitte. He also hosts the SuperDataScience podcast.
Eremenko created Blockchain A-Z in partnership with Hadelin de Ponteves, who teaches machine learning to 280,000 students online. Hadelin has a masters degree in machine learning and used to do deep learning at Google.
Blockchain A-Z Pricing
Blockchain A-Z will retail for a price of $200 AUD.
Kickstarter supporters purchased the course for as little as $50. You can also buy the course as part of a bundle with other “A-Z” projects made by the same development team (including Machine Learning A-Z, Python A-Z, and Artificial Intelligence A-Z).
Blockchain A-Z Conclusion
Blockchain A-Z is an online course that was recently successfully funded on Kickstarter. The Brisbane, Australia-based co-founders will teach you everything you need to know about building a blockchain, launching your own cryptocurrency, and running an ICO. The course is catered towards beginners and intermediates – including those who have a background in programming and want to learn more about cryptocurrencies, as well as those who have no background in either cryptocurrencies or programming but want to learn more.
To check out the course for yourself, visit the Blockchain A-Z Kickstarter page here. The course is scheduled to launch in May 2018 at a price of $200 AUD.