Chinese Ecom Business JD.com Has Submitted Over 200 Patents Related to Blockchain Technology


JD.com, a Chinese e-commerce giant, has been reported by a news site called Securities Daily News to have applied for over 200 blockchain patents. The company is one of the major competitors to Alibaba, which has applied for 262 patents related to the blockchain.

Other important Chinese companies such as Tencent and Baidu have applied for a total of 80 and 50 patents, respectively. The information comes from the Intellectual Property Center of China Information and Communication. The ranking from the center affirms that JD.com ranked first as the company with more strength in the blockchain patent field.

Alibaba followed it in second and then Tencent was the seventh while Baidu was in the fifteenth place. China is, in fact, reported to be one of the main global frontrunners in the patent industry and it has 48% of all the blockchain patent filings in the world today, as reported by an institution of the national government.

From the timespan that goes from 2013 to 2018, Chinese companies were able to file a total of 4,435 blockchain-related patents. The United States was a runner up in this regard, as the company filed for 1,833 patents during the same time, occupying 21% of the patents.

The media outlet which reported on this story affirmed that most of the companies investing in blockchain patents in China were internet-related companies. 75% of the institutions came from the industrial sector, while research institutions, the government and individuals were the other 25% of the whole number.

While companies in the country are certainly booming from being a part of this movement that develops this nascent technology, the Intellectual Property Center of China Information and Communication has noted that there are several IP infringements happening in the country.

The organization recommended that the government should do a good job of supervising the industry in order to improve the quality of their work and affirmed that awareness on the issues of IP protection should be higher in the country to avoid more infringements in the future.

In related news, JD.com has recently released a new blockchain as a service (BaaS) platform which is called JD Blockchain Open Platform. The platform was originally launched in 2018 and its goal was to allow companies to run smart contracts easily in a more streamlined manner.

Get Daily Headlines

Enter Best Email to Get Trending Crypto News & Bitcoin Market Updates

What to Know More?

Join Our Telegram Group to Receive Live Updates on The Latest Blockchain & Crypto News From Your Favorite Projects

Join Our Telegram

Stay Up to Date!

Join us on Twitter to Get The Latest Trading Signals, Blockchain News, and Daily Communication with Crypto Users!

Join Our Twitter

Add comment

E-mail is already registered on the site. Please use the Login form or enter another.

You entered an incorrect username or password

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment.
Bitcoin Exchange Guide