Crypto Crimes Continue to Decline But DeFi Hacks & Frauds Surge Over 2.7x: CipherTrace Report


Over three-quarters of the total cryptocurrency hacks in the first seven months of the year occurred in decentralized finance (DeFi) space, according to a report from crypto intelligence company CipherTrace.

This has been while crypto crimes, in general, are declining as in 2019 they totaled $4.5 billion, then dropped to $1.9 billion last year, and now this year, as of the end of July, it further dropped to $681 million.

While the crypto industry is growing, DeFi is at the center of attention that started gaining traction only last year. From $600 million in total value locked (TVL) at 2020 beginning, DeFi currently boasts $140 billion in TVL.

The market cap of DeFi has also gone up to $113.7 billion, from $1.8 billion at the beginning of 2020, as per CoinGecko.

So, as the DeFi sector grows and matures, much like the entire crypto industry, scams and frauds will also decline here.

A majority of the DeFi volume netted by criminals is actually tied to outside agents as DeFi-related hacks make up $361 million—76% of all DeFi-related crime, with the remaining 24% being rug pulls tallying over $113 million year-to-date.

DeFi-related hacks total $361 million, increased 2.7x increase from last year, while DeFi fraud increased more than 2.8x this year.

According to CipherTrace's “Cryptocurrency Crime and Anti-Money Laundering Report,” DeFi-related fraud made up 54% of major crypto fraud, up from a mere 3% in 2020.

On Tuesday, a hack on DeFi platform Poly Network alone ended up draining more than half a billion dollars (about $600 mln).

Get Daily Headlines

Enter Best Email to Get Trending Crypto News & Bitcoin Market Updates

What to Know More?

Join Our Telegram Group to Receive Live Updates on The Latest Blockchain & Crypto News From Your Favorite Projects

Join Our Telegram

Stay Up to Date!

Join us on Twitter to Get The Latest Trading Signals, Blockchain News, and Daily Communication with Crypto Users!

Join Our Twitter

Add comment

E-mail is already registered on the site. Please use the Login form or enter another.

You entered an incorrect username or password

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment.
Bitcoin Exchange Guide