Since first appearing on the planet, humankind has been constantly inventing new ways to organize and increase the scale of cooperation with more and more effective structures, from the nuclear family and tribes to states, corporations, and the global economy. The most advanced organization thus far, the Internet, opened the door for real-time information exchange at a worldwide scale, but it lacks the economic means for general-purpose coordination and global peer-production. The Blockchain made this possible by providing a reliable, open and programmable accounting system, consequently leading to the invention of the Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO).
What Is A DAO?
DAOs are open, self-organized collectives coordinated by economic incentives and self-executing code, cooperating around shared goals. Powered by the network effect, DAOs provide revenue model and incentive for the production of open, shareable resources (such as open-source code and a music file).
With the creation of more open resources, the DAO will be able to scale indefinitely while keeping its agility and coherence, and in many cases outcompete existing corporate structures. DAOs have attracted top talents in the blockchain space, holding promise for more efficient and resilient organizations. Despite this, they have lacked critical elements to be successfully deployed so far, and in particular an adequate decentralized governance system.
What Is DAOStack?
DAOstack is an operating system for DAOs. With DAOstack, thousands of open-source creators can jointly produce decentralized applications (DApps), while distributing individual ownership of the product to contributors of value. DAOstack makes developing decentralized applications easier than ever before, with customizable tools for collective resource management. Decision making, budgeting, and incentivization.
They enable an effective governance of self-organizing collectives in the following manner.
- Blockchain governance: Decentralized governance based on Ethereum smart contracts enables faultless execution of crowd decisions.
- Programmatic Cooperation: Crypto-economic incentive design at the individual level empowers frictionless cooperation at the collective level.
- Holographic Consensus: Effective decision-making is possible with edge decisions guaranteed to be coherent with the will of the greater majority.
DAOstack aims to bootstrap and grow the DAOstack platform as an operating system for DAOs and to invest in an ecosystem of DAOs that will be using its own platform.
Where Will DAOstack Be Used?
DAOStack makes it easy to open a new DAO venture, configure the governance of the system for distribution of tokens and reputation, find collaborators, and offer bounties. It helps with scalability of open-source developments networks and to form business agreements and cooperation between projects. It enables users to invest in a wide and curated portfolio of blockchain project. Individuals and companies and work on anything they like, from browsing existing projects, pick tasks to collect rewards.
DAOStack enables the collaborative management of their assets and decision power, the coordination of work and business agreements with other Agencies or DAOs, and the management of their own protocols.
- Arc: It is a modular Solidity framework that is working on the Ethereum blockchain, for the operation and governance of Agencies. With Arc, Agencies can be easily deployed, configured and upgraded. With an open library of governance modules and templates, it forms the analog of WordPress for DAOs.
- Alchemy: It the first native user interface for Arc built by DAOStack. Further third-party applications will be integrated to Arc and the stack, a couple of which are already in this process.
- The ArcHives: It is DAOStack’s shared registries that enable the enhancement of interoperability and network effect between the various third-party collaborative DApps built on top of Arc.
DAOstack’s alpha release called Bootstrap is already live on the Ethereum testnet while they continue to develop their platform. You can check them out on their website https://daostack.io/ .