Disberse is a joint venture that involves distributing aid through decentralized ledgers. Read our Disberse review to learn more about how it works.
What Is Disberse?
Disberse is a fund management platform that aims to introduce the benefits of blockchain technology to the world of humanitarian aid.
Specifically, Disberse plans to make humanitarian aid more efficient and effective by improving the transparency and delivery systems in place. Here’s how the organization describes the process on their official website, Disberse.com:
“We enable donors, governments & NGOs to transfer & trace funds through the whole chain, from donor to beneficiary, via intermediaries.”
Humanitarian aid organizations are built with the best goals in mind. However, not all humanitarian aid achieves those goals. Humanitarian aid doesn’t always make it to its intended destination. Some gets split among local warlords. Other aid gets lost along the way, or gets distributed among the ruling class of a particular country.
Using blockchain technology, Disberse plans to make humanitarian aid more efficient than ever before. That means vital resources are delivered to those who need it most.
Disberse is currently implementing pilot projects around the world. From the official Disberse.com website, you can request a demo to see the blockchain-based technology in action.
What Problems Does Disberse Seek To Solve?
Disberse seeks to solve crucial problems in the world of humanitarian aid, including:
- Legacy Banking Infrastructure: Transferring funds is expensive and takes too long.
- Intermediary Inefficiency: A significant proportion of funds are lost to misappropriation among intermediaries.
- Lack of Transparency: There’s an inability to track the flow of funds between donors and beneficiaries. Both donors and beneficiaries would benefit from better transparency.
How Does Disberse Work?
Obviously, the problems above are serious and enormous. How does Disberse plan to solve these problems? Here are some of the crucial features of the blockchain technology being developed by the organization:
Disberse allows organizations to make and receive international payments in real-time while managing multiple currencies and exchange rates. Obviously, one of the biggest advantages of blockchain technology is the reduced cost of transactions and exchanges. This can help humanitarian organizations save a considerable amount of money when distributing aid worldwide.
Disberse makes it easy to track the flow of funds throughout the chain, from donors to beneficiaries via intermediaries. Donors can see exactly where their funds end up, and organizations can spot inefficiencies or weaknesses in the supply chain.
Disberse ensures services and funds reach their intended beneficiaries. Some of the proposed solutions include voucher systems, mobile payment transfers, and enhanced identity practices.
Disberse provides complete and immutable data for reporting, auditing, and compliance trails. This provides better transparency for the organization, including all beneficiaries and donors.
Overall, Disberse wants to make a financial operating network specifically designed for global development and humanitarian aid, built on blockchain technology.
Benefits Of Disberse
Disberse plans to introduce the following benefits to the world of global humanitarian aid:
- Cheaper and faster transfers, both locally and internationally
- Access to better exchange rates outside of the rates offered by traditional financial institutions
- Enhanced trust and collaboration between partners
- Increased efficiency by reducing mismanagement, fraud, and corruption
- Complete auditable trails for accounting, reporting, and compliance
- Enhanced security and identity
How Will Disberse Be Used?
Disberse is primarily designed for use in the humanitarian aid industry. Some of the proposed use cases for Disberse, as outlined on the official website, include:
- Humanitarian Crises: Disberse will enable emergency funds to be quickly mobilized and deployed to affected regions as quickly as possible.
- Social Cash Transfers: The most vulnerable populations can benefit from mobile money transfers and voucher schemes, allowing them to turn digital money into usable goods and services.
- Consortium Delivery: Enables multi-stakeholder projects to be delivered efficiently for the greatest impact, instead of getting lost in poor collaborative efforts.
- Results-based Financing: Enables the integration of payment by results and social impact bonds.
How To Use Disberse
Here’s the step by step process for how Disberse can be used in the real world, specifically in regards to the world of humanitarian aid.
Step 1) Define the Project: Stakeholders agree on objectives and budgets.
Step 2) Guaranteed Funds: Funds are guaranteed by a donor or held by a payment provider.
Step 3) Funds Issued: Funds are tokenized and issued on behalf of a donor.
Step 4) Funds Disbursed: Funds are tracked as they flow down the chain.
Step 5) Funds Redeemed: Funds are redeemed into local currency using methods like bank transfer, mobile money transfer, or cash payments.
If you want to get a closer look at how Disberse will be used, you can visit the official website today at Disberse.com, where users can request a demo.
Who’s Behind Disberse?
Disberse was created by a team of experts across the international development, banking and technology industries.
The company was launched by co-founders Ben Joakim (CEO) and Laura Bailey (CCO). Ben has a background in international development and social enterprise, and previously worked as a global advisor at SNV while leading a number of UK-based NGOs. Laura Bailey, on the other hand, has held a number of positions across financial services, most recently at HSBC, both in domestic and international roles.
You can get in touch with the development team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Blockchain technology has already revolutionized a number of industries. Disberse is attempting to introduce blockchain technology to the world of humanitarian aid – an industry that can significantly benefit from optimization, transparency, and auditability.
You can learn more about Disberse and their proposed blockchain-based solution to humanitarian aid by visiting the organization online at Disberse.com. The organization is currently implementing pilots worldwide, and interested organizations can request a demo through the website.