The Extreme Tech Challenge is one of the largest global competitions for startups with a formidable panel that’s spearheaded by top gurus including Sir Richard Branson. Another notable name associated with this competition is CES a leading electronics brand in Las Vegas that has positioned itself as a strategic partner.
The Extreme Tech Challenge Mission
The competition’s mission is to help startups become visible at a low cost that’s incremental as the company grows. Through these challenge beginners in entrepreneurship can surround themselves with mentors who can help build their product success into business success. At XTC, participants get to have showcase events at CES as well as Branson’s Necker Island.
Through this competition, breakout entrepreneurs who are ‘natural winners’ get a once in a lifetime opportunity to break out and win great premium prize packages. Those that don’t get into top 25, top 10 and top 3, also get to experience a memorable where they bond and network with each other. The community that surrounds the XTC idea has access to key investors and innovators who are willing to serve as mentors to the applicators.
In a nutshell, the following are key points of Extreme Tech Challenge:
- Empower entrepreneurs
- Ability to scale
- Priceless experiences
- Access to key investors and innovators
Extreme Tech Challenge Timelines
- August 2017 – Submission deadline for the 2018 XTC. Applications are reviewed by top notch VCs and highly experienced investors.
- October 2017 – Announcement of the Top 20 applications. After rigorous process, credible judges a list of 25 applications that will make it to the top is unveiled at the CES Innovate. A celebration is held at San Francisco.
- November 2017 – The Top 10 are announced who will be the semi-finalists two months before the CES which is an event that brings together talent in the tech world.
- December 2017 – Vertical prize winners are announced. These winners are announced on social media and online all through the month of December.
- January 2018 – The XTC semi-finals return to Las Vegas where the chosen ones pitch their technology in the hoping of clinching the top 3 spots.
- February 2018 – The top 2 finalists present to a panel of high profile judges at Necker Island. Top of these judges is Sir Richard Branson.
Extreme Tech Challenge Criteria and Rules
The application should have a strong leader with a vision and charisma to lead the innovation to great heights. There must be one person designated by the team to act as the leader during submissions and make decisions for the team
XTC looks for scalable products that address big markets. A validation that customers desire your product now or even demonstrated usage is a plus from the judges.
Application and Participation
A high quality application is a very necessary. Through the application, the judges can get an idea of how you are to present your ideas to customers and strategic partners.
Investors are looking for products in their early stages so that they can make an impact as well as give them great returns in the event that they decide to invest their capital.