Filament Blockchain IoT Provider Releases Blocklet Kit for Trusted Vehicle Applications (TVA)
On November 12, Filament introduced Blocklet TVA. The solution is exclusively intended for connected vehicle applications. It is expected to debut at Marketwaves18, a conference for freight companies.
Blocklet TVA is the pioneering blockchain-based platform that enables motor vehicles to leverage the capabilities of blockchain technology. Essentially, it is a device based on the Blocklet framework. Moreover, it can connect to cellular networks, troubleshoot vehicle issues and can perceive the conditions of the vehicle’s surroundings.
These functionalities enable the vehicles to create a network driven by smart contracts and powered by distributed ledger technology.
Introducing #Blocklet TVA, designed specifically for connected vehicle applications. We’re proud to debut industry-first #DLT at #MarketWaves18. Stop by booth #6 for more information. https://t.co/nqSuu4H6ha #blockchain pic.twitter.com/4n58ClRNHD
— Filament (@FilamentHQ) November 12, 2018
According to the CEO of Filament, Allison Clift-Jennings, blockchain technology and the Internet of Things have the potential to revolutionize the freight industry.
He particularly stressed that the immutability of blockchain ledgers could play a vital role in establishing trust among the various parties involved in the transport sector. Allison also lauded Blocklet TVA, saying that it will harness the potential of distributed ledgers and facilitate the transition to next-generation freighting methods.
Features of Blocklet TVA
As mentioned above, Blocklet TVA is a device equipped with an array of features to assist in improving reliability, speed, transparency, and security of processes in the transport sector.
The main features of Blocklet TVA are:
- A chipset for vehicle diagnostics – using blockchain technology, this chipset collects data from various parts of the vehicle, especially the engine. This data is then used to troubleshoot any issues. The entire process is recorded on a blockchain ledger,
- Connectivity and geolocation features – the device is fitted with a GPS transponder that enables freight companies to track the vehicles easily. Also, Blocklet TVA can seamlessly connect to both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi networks.
- Inertial motion sensor – this sensor can detect almost all types of motion including speed, acceleration, incline and many others.
- Environmental sensors – Blocklet TVA can generate a report outlining the weather conditions of the vehicle’s current location.
- Multiplatform support – Blocklet TVA is compatible with several blockchain protocols and frameworks, including Ethereum, Hyperledger Fabric, and BigchainDB and so on.
The introduction of Blocklet TVA to the freight industry is a potential game changer. For instance, this solution can be pivotal in the creation of a leasing model that uses blockchain technology to determine its pricing rates.
Furthermore, the inalterability of vehicle location records makes it easier to determine its mileage. This can be crucial in valuing the vehicle during a resale. Lastly, it can also be used to track the provenance and authenticity of spare parts.