Bitcoin’s [BTC] Market Performance Has Been Better Than The S&P 500 This Year
- During the month of May, the S&P 500 suffered a total devaluation of around -17%.
- Over the same time period, Bitcoin witnessed a total growth of more than 55%.
Since the start of the year, the crypto market at large has been experiencing bullish conditions — with Bitcoin as well as a number of other major alt-assets experiencing massive gains over the last 3-4 months. In this regard, it should be pointed out that BTCs performance during 2019 has been so good that the premier digital currency has been able to financially dominate established economic entities such as Nasdaq.
- So far in 2019, Bitcoin has been able to outperform the S&P 500 — which is considered to be one of the world’s premier investment indexes.
- Since January, the value of S&P 500 has increased by around 10%. In the same breath, we can also see that last month alone, the value of Bitcoin value shot up by more than 145%
- Despite the crypto market flourishing this year, many skeptics have continued to bash this burgeoning sector — claiming that the future prospects of this novel asset class are extremely poor.
As can be seen from the chart presented above, since late-2012, investment packages comprising of Bitcoin have regularly outperformed S&P 500 offerings by quite a huge margin. Not only that, other inferred data that can be extrapolated from the chart presented above also seems to indicate that cryptocurrencies can serve as excellent long term SOVs (Stores of Value) — especially when compared to traditional storage options and commodities.
In closing out this piece, it should be pointed out that last month traditional assets such as gold, silver were only able to yield returns of around 2% — while oil delivered negative returns.