OpenMined promises to offer encrypted, decentralized artificial intelligence. Find out everything you need to know about the open source project today in our review.
What Is OpenMined?
OpenMined is not a company or for-profit corporation. Instead, it’s an open source community. That community’s goal, according to their Github page, is to build technology “to facilitate the decentralized ownership of data and intelligence.”
The Github page lists a total of 73 people currently involved with the project.
The ultimate goal of OpenMined is to democratize artificial intelligence development. Today, AI technologies are increasingly in the hands of powerful corporations. That may not seem like a big deal – but it’s quickly leading to an environment where nobody but these corporations can develop AI systems. Since AI systems are increasingly running the world, this can lead to a dangerous centralization of power.
Decentralized platforms like OpenMined are designed to bring power back into the community.
OpenMined’s has 20 ongoing projects listed on their website and Github page, including:
- OpenMined: The OpenMined Unity application
- PySyft: Encrypted deep learning library
- MineUI: React application to interface with mine.js
- Capsule: Service for storing and interacting with secrets, including keys, off the blockchain
- Mine.js: Federated learning client and user data warehouse)
- Sonar: Decentralized machine learning server hosted on the blockchain.
- PySonar: Decentralized machine learning client.
- CampX: Shared agent training environment.
- PyYashe: A Python implementation of the YASHE homomorphic encryption scheme.
- PyBV: A Python implementation of the BV homomorphic encryption scheme.
- PyAono: A Python implementation of the homomorphic encryption scheme.
Overall, OpenMined’s projects are focused on encrypted and decentralized artificial intelligence. The goal is to build software that promotes decentralization of data ownership, along with machine learning and deep learning libraries that can be used or built upon without the need of being an expert in either field.
The project emphasizes three pillars, including:
- Decentralization: OpenMined is built on a decentralized blockchain platform.
- Data Ownership and Privacy: OpenMined’s protocols provide data ownership and privacy via homomorphic encryption.
- Artificial Intelligence: Intelligence is provided via machine learning and deep learning.
OpenMined is an open source community that is actively developing a number of blockchain-based technologies. These technologies are being built with the goal of decentralizing and encrypting artificial intelligence. The goal is to build software that promotes the decentralization of data ownership, while also creating machine learning and deep learning libraries that will be accessible to the open source community.
Right now, the OpenMined website doesn’t have much information about the ongoing projects. To learn more about OpenMined, your best option is to check the company’s Github page.