Currently, your server is the combination of all the cloud system that you use and know. The server is broken into many different fragments spread all over the world that we do not have control of. The more we depend on the web services, the more we realize that the system is unsustainable. Part of our personal servers is personal data that is all over the place in different accounts. We might not remember all the passwords and usernames for our different accounts nor can we control this data since it is scattered all over the place.
What Is Urbit?
Urbit is a general-purpose server that holds one’s data, runs your apps, defines your secure identity and wrangles your connected devices. In case you need your old devices, the general-purpose server drives the devices with APIs. The urbit can be used as a single web service that represents a person’s complete digital life.
It also never shows ads, as it is personal, open source, and patent free. It also never loses data or update without consent. Urbit is a new kind of operating system that has precise formal identification. This single math function OS is portable.
Urbit Personal Virtual Computer Cloud Service Advantages
- The OS is easy to use; this makes managing it easy
- Each of the Urbit is made on a decentralized peer-to-peer encrypted network, and your network address will be your pseudonym
- The OS is a cryptographic asset that has a limited supply, which helps keep spam scarce and abuse of the OS expensive
- As the OS grows, it will become a centralized self-governing system that is free and safe.
- The personal server promises convenience. It is also an open vehicle for discovery and exploration. The virtual city will bring together all our data streams in a way that we can control.
- The test version of Urbit will now be upgraded to use Ethereum contracts. The contracts will be based on ERC20 to allow the Urbit owners to secure their holdings cryptographically. All payments will now be made on the blockchain. The OS will further create a browser based on Ethereum code.
The Future Of Urbit
The urbit system is still in the making, and it is still under development. The developers do not recommend it for end users yet as the system is not yet secure. The developers are switching to an open and transparent development and specification process. The developers are also creating an open political and economic process that has a small fixed price public presale of Urbit address space.
In your Urbit server, the personal data is not trapped in proprietary servers nor is data locked inside apps. You could painlessly switch between apps, and the OS upgrades itself automatically. Further, you can sidegrade a running app to another vendor without losing your data. Your urbit is your digital identity.
You can still use network services, but instead of interacting with a service provider, you will interact with a third party app on your Urbit. The app talks to multiple service providers using protocols that are public and Urbit typed.
This is the future of Urbit.